Saturday, October 24, 2009

the dark tailor


The Dark Tailor

The dark tailor goes through a lot
in Boston. My dad's birth cost him
his wife, who bleeds to death one hot

August night. He is a widower
and keeps on sewing suits and skirts,
this immigrant born in the blur

of the Pale. I still invent his face,
his fury and his height, his nose
and speech. If only I could race

up the tenement steps to his door,
knock and say, ''I'm Billy, I'm ten,
you are my unseen ancestor,

I want to have some fun with you
before you die." He is amazed,
gives me a cunning look, and spews

some stupid crap about my dad,
yet feeds me. I pick up his iron,
fire the stove, and he gets mad

and tries to thrash me, but I skate
out of his reach, bouncing around,
duck in the closet, smash some plates.

He breaks up laughing. Finally
we talk like grown-ups and forget
our lives. Maybe he thinks of me

some evening. I often invent
the dark tailor stitching this suit
I'm wearing now, and we lament.


WILLIS BARNSTONE
New Letters
Volume 75, No. 4

No comments:

Post a Comment